Thursday, 13 September 2012

Kimchi

I've always liked kimchi, but hadn't really ate much of it. Not till I started watching more Korean dramas and shows when I moved back with my parents, taking in their culture, their way of life... and food seems to always feature in their shows. :) 

So after a few of our Korean lunches, sampling their side dishes and kimchi, I decided I had to buy some to eat at home. 

more stuff about health you may not wanna read about after the break ;)
I've been plagued by a weak stomach for years. Let's just say constipation has never been my problem. I know there are many like me, and I've had it checked out ages ago before, and the diagnosis is probably IBS. It worsens around the time of the month and when I eat too much ice cream. *wails*

But after having a bit of kimchi fora few days, I noticed that it got heaps better. Apparently kimchi has lots of healthy bacteria (lactobacilli) that aids digestion.

When that pack was done, I went to try radish kimchi, and I think radish being a detoxifying vegetable by itself, plus the the fermentation properties of kimchi kind of was too much for my stomach to take. It got worse. 

I went back to trying regular cabbage kimchi (see awesomeness in photo above in a glass jar I bought from Daiso) and after day 2, much of the bloatedness and discomfort has gone. I think if this becomes regular, it will help my digestive system lots!

Now I think I know why Koreans can't live without their kimchi. It's not just about it being a loved food, but it has health benefits!



No comments:

Post a Comment

hello! :)