A few days ago, I went to watch "Brave" by myself. I hadn't done this solo movie thing in a few years, so headed off to the nearby cinema after leaving my son in school. I caught the 10am show with 2 middle aged aunties and a mother- daughter pair.
What struck me about the movie were some of the subjects it had. I'll just share a couple that struck me. There was absolutely no Prince Charming in it as one would expect from almost any movie, let alone a Disney one, and I think that was refreshing. In a society where women are still indirectly told that the best route for them is to go to college, find a boyfriend, get married before 30 and have kids, this is wonderful.
I'm not against marriage, I have seen many good ones. I've been through one and it really didn't work out. I still believe in love and marriage, but life has taught me some good lessons and I cannot compromise on my beliefs any more.
More after the break if you're interested...
The movie teaches girls to be true to themselves, love how they were made to be, and to be strong. Not feminists, but to have strong, teachable spirits. If marriage isn't happening at that particular time, then maybe later. But meanwhile, do what you love, live a life you'll be proud of, and love those who are closest to you.
I guess I didn't really come into that knowledge of being really true to myself till the last 2 years. I don't think God has answered all my questions, but that's ok. I know my jobs are good for me in this season of my life. I can earn a decent living and look after my kiddo- the best of both worlds! :) The fears have become smaller, and they have also become less daunting. Am I meant to be single for the rest of my life?
I think it'll be ok if I am, I don't know. At the risk of sounding feminist and lesbian (I am neither), I don't really need a man at this point in my life, and God knows that. So I'll just continue living well, spending quality time with my family and friends, picking up hobbies I'll enjoy (bumping up my piano repertoire, watching dramas online... and cafe- hopping is a hobby ok! ;) and running the race well.
Go watch Brave! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment
hello! :)